Quéménéven comes from "Kemenat Maen", the fief of Maen, an 11th century lord. A rural village just a stone's throw from the sea which was built around three centres: the town, the station and Kergoat.
The Steir, a tributary of the Odet, runs through the commune. This river is fed by several streams which have allowed many mills to be set up in the past.
Chapel of Notre Dame de Kergoat
The present chapel of Kergoat, with its doors, cornices and belfries, is reminiscent of the churches of Ploaré and Le Juch, and dates from the 16th and 17th centuries. It was seriously altered during the following century.
It is a vast monument measuring 35 metres in length and 13 metres in width (19 metres at the transept). It consists of a nave, 5 m. 50 wide and two side aisles.
The ten bays of the building consist of tall octagonal columns without capitals, supporting pointed arches. The panelling is carinated.
The paving of the church is made up of diamond-shaped tiles, alternately of slate and granite. At the entrance to the sanctuary, and in the immediate vicinity of the chancel balustrade, a few slate fleur-de-lys are found among the tiles.
Outside, an inscription that is difficult to decipher appears on the pediment of the chapel, not far from the bell tower. Canon Abgrall read it as follows:
DON IAN OLLAN. RECTOR OF QUEMENEVEN. 1764.