Created in 1846, the Museum occupies the former Palace of the Bishops of Cornwall adjacent to the cathedral.

Two wings frame the tower built for Claude de Rohan (1507), one of the finest examples of Renaissance architecture in Brittany.
It houses a magnificent staircase finished with carved panelling (coats of arms, characters and fantastic animals), and the fresco room with its trompe-l'oeil trophy decoration. On the ground floor of the 17th century wing is the former kitchen. In the wing completed in 1776, the Bishop's flats open onto a wrought iron balcony overlooking the Odet. The courtyard is separated from the garden by a neo-Othic cloister with arcades recently decorated with wrought ironwork.

The collections
The Museum presents a synthesis of the archaeology, popular arts and decorative arts of Finistère. It thus constitutes an introduction to the discovery of the department. The prehistoric period (gold jewellery, etc.) and the ancient period (habitat and way of life in the Gallo-Roman era) are first mentioned. The ancient art rooms show a collection of stained glass, gold and silverware and statuary from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Four rooms are devoted to traditional costumes and their representation in painting and sculpture. The tour then traces the evolution of regional furniture from the 17th century to the 1930s. The tour ends with a retrospective of Quimper earthenware (18th-20th centuries).

Click here to access the virtual visit of the Breton Departmental Museum !

N’hésitez pas à jeter un œil à nos réseaux sociaux pour avoir un aperçu de ce qu’il se passe au musée : l’actualité au musée, les coulisses, les animations, la présentation des collections et leur conservation :