History of Plogonnec
Plogonnec is a "mother parish" (plou). It is a donation made to Saint Ronan on 12 April 1203. In the cartulary of the Abbey of Quimperlé, the name of the parish is written "Plue Gunuc", then "Ploegonohc" and "Ploe Gonoc".
Heritage of Plogonnec
The 15th century church of Saint Thurien is placed under the patronage of the former Bishop of Dol, Thurien, who lived in the first half of the 8th century. He is invoked to cure fever. His feast day is the 2nd Sunday in July.
The Chapel of Our Lady of Loreto, built in 1872, replaces a 17th century chapel built by the Lord of Rubian on the banks of the river Steïr. It is neo-Gothic in style and has a contemporary stained glass window, a slender bell tower and sablières.
Natural Heritage of Plogonnec
Owned by the Conseil Général, the Nevet wood is freely available to the public. It can be reached by car from Plogonnec via the Chapelle Saint-Pierre, by taking the departmental road 39. It can also be reached via the surrounding hiking trails:
- from Plogonnec and Locronan by the Névet circuit, which passes by the Chapelle Saint-Pierre (green signs, 8 km, 2 h 30)
- from Locronan by the Bocage circuit (yellow signs, 12 km, 3 h)
- from Kerlaz by the Névet valley circuit (yellow signs, 11 km, 3 h)
- by the GR 38 long-distance footpath, which links Locronan to Douarnenez via the Névet wood
Inside the wood, numerous paths - forest tracks and "garennes" - are marked out for walking and discovering the site.