History of Pluguffan
Pluguffan has numerous testimonies of the Roman period: pottery, coins, funerary urns and a Roman road.
Saint Cuffan is said to be the founder of the parish in the 6th century, which was much larger at the time. The name comes from an attachment of Cuffan with ploe (parish in Breton). The parish became a commune in 1790 and lost its maritime frontage on the Odet the following year. In the middle of the 20th century, the town's economy developed with the installation of several industrial zones and the construction of the airport. Its population grew, with the proximity of Quimper helping
Heritage of Pluguffan
In the centre of the village, the church of Saint Cuffan (15th century, historic monument) has a bell tower flanked by a turret covered in pepper and finished with a spire with hooked edges. Inside, there are beautiful stained glass windows and statues, including that of Saint Corentin.
To the south-west is the Chapel of Our Lady of Grace (17th century). This Latin cross-shaped chapel has a 4-panel mural fresco (updated after restoration work). Saints are represented by polychrome wooden or terracotta statues. This chapel is surrounded by an enclosure with a 3m high calvary.
Numerous archaeological remains bear witness to ancient occupation: the tumuli of Kervernar (Bronze Age), the dolmen of Menez Liaven in the heart of the Korrigans wood (private property).
Natural heritage of Pluguffan
5km from Quimper, Pluguffan offers two themed walking tours: "les chemins nous racontent" which leads from the church of Saint Cuffan to the cross of Meilh Gornigell and "le bourg des bourgs" which will take you over 6km, through a partly protected and wooded area, as close as possible to the urbanised heart of Pluguffan.